6.08.2009

Living Dead in Dallas

Sure enough, I finished writing my quick review of Dead Until Dark and then started this, the second book in Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse novels. Similar to the first in terms of fun, though we spend a decent amount of time in Dallas, where Sookie has been "loaned out" to help them discover a kidnapped vampire. This time, we explore more of the vampire world... hotels that cater to the undead, regional hierarchies, the anti-vampire groups, a vampire so old that he's ready to "meet the sun" and die, etc. We get more of Eric in this one, which was intriguing. He's not behaving how I would have expected, but he's pretty amusing towards the end of the book. And there felt like there was less sex in this (though there was a pretty intense scene at one point), and there is a storyline involving an orgy, so maybe I'm mistaken.
I finished this one in a couple of hours and while I don't think it was as good as the first, it's hard to really define what makes one of these books any better than another. And I may have already started the third, so clearly I'm still hooked.

No comments: