11.23.2006

An Inconvenient Truth

I love Al Gore. I've probably said it before, but I really do. I wasn't old enough to vote in the 2000 election (relax, I was too young by a year), but I volunteered and made phone calls and all that jazz. The day after the election, mom let me stay home from school so I could watch results come in... just in case any decision was made. I sobbed when Gore made his concession speech and I continue to think he'd be a great president. Of course, once you see An Inconvenient Truth, you understand why the election was stolen from him. It wasn't even necessarily the need to elect a Republican, it simply couldn't be Al Gore. The movie shows you how passionate he is about this issue and how much of his life he's devoted to raising awareness. As president, he would have done everything in his power to take on environmental issues and see that this country step into line with the rest of the world and start making a difference. He would have insisted that we stop thinking as one country and that we work with others on this global issue.

I saw the movie in theaters and Iwatched it again on DVD. The facts will astonish you. They'll also infuriate you because if people know these things, why aren't more people rising up to do something to slow all the damage we do to the planet? We only have one; we can't afford to waste it.

Visit www.climatecrisis.net.

Oh, and in the Guardian comment section, a call for writers to raise awareness for global warming.

No comments: