10.17.2006

Housekeeping vs. The Dirt

I find it interesting that, evidently, the Polysyllabic Spree (the first collection of Nick Hornby's "What I've Been Reading" articles from Believer magazine) is only just now being published in Britain as we've already gotten Housekeeping vs. The Dirt. I suppose it's only funny because it's a British author and I always assume we Yanks have to wait for everything to come across the Atlantic, but no! This time, the delay we experience (about four months between Hornby's writing the article before it's published in Believer and then the amount of time it takes to collect 16 months' worth of articles and publish that as a book), is actually less than the Brits', who have Hornby within their midst but have now had to wait for years to read these articles... unless they were shipped Believer in the first place.
In any case, Housekeeping vs. The Dirt is the same format we enjoy, but there's something a little less delightful about these ones. Perhaps the novelty has worn off but there are still great recommendations to be had. I always sit with a pad of paper or at least a post-it note before reading any one of the articles as I know I'll come away with at least one book to add to my list and I recommend that you do the same.

No comments: