10.14.2006

How do I love Netflix? Let me count the ways.

What did we do before Netflix?
You've heard all the advantages of having movies delivered to your door (versus getting up off the couch and going to the video rental place on the corner or the library where the selection isn't quite so up-to-date) but the best part, in my mind, is the catalogue of older movies and television shows. Blockbuster probably isn't stocking every single random British show that will entertain me more than most American ones. And it probably won't have the whole Marilyn Monroe oeuvre, either. This weekend, I have The Prince and the Showgirl (Marilyn Monroe and Lawrence Olivier), Kicking and Screaming (directed by Noah Baumbach) and the first disc of a British drama called MI-5.
MI-5 features Matthew MacFadyen, who most young girls will recognize as the new Darcy that starred opposite Keira Knightley in last year's Pride and Prejudice. As you can probably guess from the title, though, this is definitely not a Regency romance; it's a show that follows a team of MI-5 spooks through personal and political tensions. I'm not quite sure what I expected, but I don't think it was anything as intense as this -- it doesn't seem so intense when it starts and then all of a sudden a car explodes and a mother and a daughter are dead. The first episode featured a hunt for a pro-life terrorist group's leader and the second featured wife-beating, intense racial prejudice, and a rather violent death. That being said, I'm still getting the second disc -- someone suggested that it might be like 24, but I might be the only person in the world who has not seen 24.
Reviews of the movies will be available on Monday.

No comments: